Re: [OM] IMG: Arnhem, 2004

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Arnhem, 2004
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 12:18:52 -0700
No soldier lost in any war, and especially those from WWI or WWII
should remain unknown, and thus mostly forgotten. Every time I see a grave
for someone unknown, I wonder if their descendents would find benefit from
exhumation and DNA testing.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 11:56 AM Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I just realised that this week is the anniversary of Operation Market
> Garden, the attempt by British and US forces to gain control over the Rhine
> bridges and thus advance into western Germany. Although as a by-product a
> couple of notable Dutch cities, Eindhoven and Nijmegen, were liberated, the
> operation was ultimately not successful. About 2000 Allied pilots and
> soldiers are buried in the village of Oosterbeek near Arnhem, and when I
> lived in the Netherlands between 2003 and 2007, I used to go to the
> cemetery to pay my respects. The first time was on the 60th anniversary of
> the Battle of Arnhem, in September 2004. I posted these photos in my weekly
> blog for that week, but it is now 17 years ago, so it seems a good time to
> share them again. I always found these visits to the cemetery very moving.
>
> Some veterans come to visit:
> http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt1.jpg
>
> A Polish pilot serving in the RAF:
> http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt2.jpg
>
> Paying respects to comrades who did not survive:
> http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt3.jpg
>
> A face:
> http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt4.jpg
>
> Jewish pilot: