Re: [OM] Sleeping Lady and Barge

Subject: Re: [OM] Sleeping Lady and Barge
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 15:27:14 -0700
At 9/21/2021 02:52 PM, AK wrote:
>Wayne wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the 100-400 focus is an issue with the A7ii? On the A7iii, A7Riii,
>> or the A7Riv I have not seen any auto-focus performance issues at 400mm.
>> Sony says the A7iii is twice as fast auto-focus in low light as the A7ii. As
>> the lens goes to F5.6 at the long end, lower light performance may be a
>> factor?
>
>Low light, low contrast. It hunted like a blind dog. It helped if I
>turned the camera sideways as it woefully lacks adequate cross-type AF
>sensors. But I eventually just figured out that I needed to manual
>focus it in those conditions.

Internal focus should not be affected by temperature? Also the 100-400mm was
released in 2017 and you are shooting with a 2014 camera. Could be the camera
or the lens. Was this from lens rental? or mom & pop photo? or batteries?

>> The 100-400 is reported to be sharpest at the long end. Next time rent an
>> A7Riii to go with the lenses. The A7iii has a different BSI Exmor R sensor
>> with 1 stop more sensitivity and "better color" according to Sony.
>
>I can rent almost any Sony body for $15-25 a day, so the A7Riv might
>make an appearance.

I use the A7Riv and A7Riii interchangeably. Although the shutter feels smoother
on the iv and in Alaska I don't think you can have too many pixels.

>> I do find the 100-400 when fully extended at 400mm is not the most
>> ergonomic. It weighs about the same as the 50-200/2.8 but the internal zoom
>> is a big plus. I have a Grifiti Band Joes (silicone rubber band) to add more
>> friction to the 100-400 zoom ring. Even though it has a friction adjust, it
>> still zoom creeps when hanging down at my side. Not an issue with the 70-200
>> but frustrating with the 100-400.

I meant to say 70-200mm.

>This particular 100-400 was in a little rougher shape, so I suspect
>some contribution there. The biggest complaint I had with the zoom
>ring is the amount of stiffening it did when the temperatures dropped
>down. The camera was cold-soaked around freezing and it made for a
>very uncomfortable package.

I assume you tweaked the smooth/tight adjustment on the lens. Here in AZ, at
95-100, the zoom is definitely not tight. I don't find the smooth/tight to go
far enough. Perhaps the lens was serviced and the wrong grease used.

>> Of course the 4/3 system is going to be a lighter package. And in your hands
>> magic happens.
>
>Thank you. And there is a new m43 lens in the harem just waiting for
>images to be processed and posted. It's a stunner.

WayneS