[OM] Nathan's PAD 28/7/2021: a hot day in Madrid with my daughter

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/7/2021: a hot day in Madrid with my daughter
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 08:25:44 +0200
Yesterday my daughter and I had to visit the Polish consulate in Madrid to
renew her passport there—it has to be done in person because Polish passports
include fingerprints in the biometric data. So we took a morning train to
Madrid, did the business at the consulate, enjoyed the city for a few hours
afterwards, and took an evening train back to Alicante. Six images to
illustrate the various facets of the day (none from the Polish consulate since
only Monica was allowed to enter, they are keeping the crowds down due to
Covid, so only the person actually doing something there is allowed in).

After the consulate visit, we took the metro to an Ethiopian restaurant for
lunch. The food was vegetarian, beautiful and delicious. This is a spread for
two:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-tCp2zph/A

After lunch, the temperature rose to the mid-30s, and there were not many
people walking on the hot city streets. I did snap this cyclist, riding no
hands while listening to music—not a practice I recommend but it made for a
nice pic:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-cKKrVCw/A

We then made our way to the Retiro park, just included on UNESCO’s World
Heritage list this week. It is indeed a wonderful park, fully on par with
Central Park or Hyde park, perhaps even better than those. One of the
impressive structures is the Palacio de Cristal (Glass Palace), used for art
exhibitions, although being inside what is basically a greenhouse in 36-degree
weather is not something you do for a long period:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Bz4sjrS/A

In weather like this, this is a better way to enjoy the park:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-stRJ6Jf/A

We finished the day with two exhibitions at the Caixa Forum, one of the several
art museums in the immediate area near the Atocha station (from which we were
taking the train back). I love the architecture of the building:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-zj6539N/A

One of the two exhibitions was about video games and their relationship to the
“real” world, a subject that interests Monica a lot. And she was very amused to
see a game that she played not many years ago exhibited in a museum:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-4SCSbX5/A

Then we took the train and in 2:15 h we were back in Alicante.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"