Re: [OM] OT: Alaskan Tremor

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Alaskan Tremor
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 09:18:06 -0800
Yes, it certainly got our attention. Within the first two seconds we
knew it wasn't one of the normal aftershocks since the movement was
different. The primary movement was north-south, instead of east-west,
and there was far more up-down movement. I think that's a function of
distance as the movement turns into swells.

At the house, some things moved around a bit, a few small items on
shelves or counter tops moved or toppled over, but nothing broke.
However, after a quick inspection, several cracks widened up, and a
couple new ones formed. The biggest concern, however, is the garage
floor crack reveals that the entire house moved downhill about a
quarter inch. Combined with the 7.1 in 2018 and all the aftershocks,
the house has moved about an inch and a half.

There was a point where we were about to get up and move to safety,
but it settled down into swells which lasted quite a while. I haven't
gotten any alerts or calls from work yet, but I know something
happened because my Internet connection died for a minute or two AND
my cellphone lost connectivity, so we probably got a fiber break or
one of our locations took damage. Based on the movement, my guess is
equipment damage where the rows of equipment racks sometimes end up
striking each other. The maximum allowable movement of those racks
will actually allow for the tops of the racks to collide across
aisles. Of course I'm speculating, but it was evident that something
failed and the network went into recovery mode. Given few
commonalities between the two carriers, that narrows things down a
bit.

So, all is well, nothing broke, some things relocated, ceiling lights
were still moving 20 minutes later, and Facebook lit up like
Christmas.

AK Schnozz