Re: [OM] OT: Earthlink Death Throes

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Earthlink Death Throes
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 09:14:16 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I just shut off the dial-up access.  Once again, I had to talk with
someone in India who did not fully understand English, and I had to tell her
more than twice that I wanted Premium Email.

     These calls remind me of the television commercial where customer service
is answered by someone living in a yurt in Siberia, answering the phone with
"Hello, my name...Peggy".  Yes, it's exactly like that.

     I also found this morning that there is essentially no dial-up service
available in the Phoenix area.  Guess I was one of the very last hold-outs.

>     Did a little online search and found that Earthlink has been operating
>their dial-up at a loss, so they must be cutting it loose.  Nice of them
>to give us some advance notice.
>

>>>     BTW:  I did a quick survey of the dial-up numbers this morning
>>>and the majority of the modems have gone into terminal failure, and
>>>I'm convinced that those failures are intentional with no thought
>>>as to repair.
>>
>>Or they just don't make them any more.
>>Star Link is in beta.

Chris