[OM] Nathan's PAD 31/3/2021: the Great Belt Bridge

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 31/3/2021: the Great Belt Bridge
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 08:26:05 +0200
I flew to Copenhagen on Wednesday afternoon, my first trip anywhere since
November. I am spending 4 days in Denmark, the first 2 in Aarhus and the last 2
in Copenhagen. So on landing in Copenhagen, I picked up my rental car (the
trains were more or less sold out due to Easter) and drove the 300 km to
Aarhus. Along the way, I passed the magnificent Great Belt Bridge, connecting
the islands of Sjælland (where Copenhagen is located) with Funen (with Odense,
the birthplace of H.C. Andersen, as the main town). Opened in 1998, it is an
engineering marvel, consisting of a 1.6 km long suspension bridge to allow
ships to pass, a tunnel for the trains, and a low bridge the rest of the way
for both trains and cars. The total length of the connection is 18 km. I was
approaching the bridge as the sun was was setting, so I left the motorway
briefly and drove down to the old ferry harbour which is now just a recration
area:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Xg6Trqj/A

To get a closer view of the bridge, I mounted the Leica 90mm Tele-Elmarit on my
Fuji:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-DVCFGmP/A

Then I got back in my car and drove on to Aarhus.

Later today, I will pass the same bridge on the way to Copenhagen, but the
views are not nearly as nice from the other side.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"