[OM] Nathan's PAD 20/3/2021: three Mercado Central vignettes

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 20/3/2021: three Mercado Central vignettes
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 07:01:28 +0100
Going to the Mercado Central here in Alicante used to be one of my customary
Saturday morning pleasures, often more to look than to buy. During the pandemic
I have been going much less often; the layout of the market is such that
keeping the 2 meters distance is virtually impossible, and I found it a
generally unpleasant experience in the circumstances. But now that I have had
the Covid myself, I am less concerned for my own safety, and also I have to say
that compliance with the sanitary measures (masks, hand cleaning etc.) is quite
exemplary. So on Saturday I walked around the Mercado a bit. I was pleased to
see that some of the posts that had gone out of business last time I was there
in the autumn have now reopened under new management. The character of the
market is slowly changing; there are now several small bars and cafés like in
the Boquería in Barcelona, something that did not exist at all a year ago.
There are also a couple of new higher-end shops, such as one selling good
coffee from around the world (I have never had Cuban coffee!), and one selling
products from Germany, where I bought some excellent bratwurst from
Baden-Würtemberg. As always, much of the pleasure is to photograph the more
traditional part of the food. I choose B&W for these 3 images, just because I
felt like it.

Seafood counter:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-H7HfDFn/A

More seafood—that pulpo looks really good:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-RvcQ6dW/A

Not for the squeamish, goat or sheep heads (I think the latter, but I am no
expert on such things):
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-8zRSC5G/A
(I also had no idea what people do with these, but obviously there must be a
demand for them since they being sold).

After all this, I cooked a vegan dinner last night, a Japanese aubergine curry.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"