Re: [OM] Chugach Mountains and Northern Lights

Subject: Re: [OM] Chugach Mountains and Northern Lights
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 14:16:11 -0800
> There you go again, capturing all the nicest photons--- from your driveway,
> no less.
> Please save a few for list members.
> North, but not north enough, Mike

Oh, in other news, Alaska now gets more hours of photons every day
than anywhere in the lower-48. Yay us! It's time to get the camping
gear ready.

Lest I feel too guilty for sucking up all the nicest photons from my
driveway, we do have to pay a very steep "snow tax" for living here.
For example, it was as cold as -9F when I was out last night getting
pictures. Granted, I was able to get great pictures of the aurora
because it was so cold. Cold and clear skies go hand in hand.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with vehicles. I really like my
X5, but with rising gas costs, I'm thinking of keeping the Prius and
then pick up a beater 4WD. Maintenance costs for the Prius are far
more desirable than the X5. The Prius isn't an ideal winter vehicle,
but with good snow tires, it does get around quite well. The Prius
would give me significantly lower travel around the state costs. I'm
much more free to go drive down to Homer or over to Valdez whenever I
want. We'll see.

AK Schnozz