Re: [OM] Antenna vs. roof

Subject: Re: [OM] Antenna vs. roof
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 21:21:35 -0800
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>>
>
> On 3/9/2021 8:22 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
>> Peter all you need is a tape measure and an clinometer. Simple trig. Your
>> phone can do this.
>
> GAS Opportunity!
>
> I bought one of these

Sheesh. You guys are all gadget-happy.

Take an ordinary piece of paper. Fold the top edge so it meets the side edge.
Now you have a 45-degree angle.

Put your eye at the lower end of the angle. Sight along the base of that angle
to a point below the object being measured that is as high off the ground as
your eye is. Walk back and forth, maintaining this sight, until the top of the
item to be measured is sighted along the 45-degree angle. Stop. Measure the
distance from where you are to the object being measured. Add your height.

Bingo! No trig. Nothing more complicated than a piece of paper and a tape
measure. No math beyond simple addition.

I came up with this when I was about 13, in Boy Scout summer camp. The
counsellor said I was wrong! He could not understand my explanation, and I had
not yet taken high school geometry and did not know what a "similar right
triangle" was yet.

Jan