Re: [OM] Cook Inlet Fata Morgana

Subject: Re: [OM] Cook Inlet Fata Morgana
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 09:44:33 -0900
Thanks, Jim and Philippe.

> A classic, and well rendered. In spite of the warm tones, you were the right
> man in the cold right place Ken :-)

No "warming" or colorization done in Lightroom. Straight colors.

It wasn't all that cold. Maybe around -15C on the mountain. It was
-23C this morning on the drive into work. But it'll be 50% blue and
50% snow white, again. Cold means clear. It's a trade-off. Do we want
the grungy and cold or the clear and colder? I'm OK with cold air down
to -30C. At that point I find it gives me a burning sensation that I
really dislike. Further north, it's -40C right now. I'm about the only
person who doesn't have remote start on my vehicle. Next vehicle will
certainly have it.

We're in a little bit of a cold snap at the moment. When it's this
cold or if I'm going anywhere other than my daily commute, I throw my
"arctic gear" in the car. I've got a (employer provided) duffle bag
with arctic survival clothing and boots. Every once in a while I have
to travel for work and for part of the year we are required to have
our bag with us. You can't even get on an airplane to the north slope
without it. The boots are rated to -95C. My normal work boots are -40C
rated. Everything is fire/flash rated, non-metallic, and has
carbon-fiber toe protection. That's because I have to go to oil
industry work zones, so my gear is exactly the same as their normal
work clothing. It's heavy stuff. I think the parka, bibs, boots,
headwear, and gloves weigh about 15 kilos. Honestly, I have no clue
how to operate a camera while wearing my arctic gloves. I feel like an
astronaut in that stuff.

HOWEVER, this is not the norm for me. Anchorage is actually quite
temperate as we're right near the Pacific Ocean and we are not in the
path of weather systems. We generally don't get warm or cold fronts
here and the prevailing wind is from the south-east and we're on the
"dry side" of the mountains. We're actually very close to Whittier
where the average annual rainfall is 391cm, and snowfall is 632cm. But
we have only 43cm of rain and 200cm of snow. As the saying goes,
"Everything is sh*ttier in Whittier." The other factor that helps
Anchorage be rather pleasant is that we don't get much wind. In fact,
generally speaking, in Alaska, when it gets REALLY cold, it's because
there is no wind.

The photography makes it all worthwhile. Seriously! Can you believe
that they ACTUALLY PAY ME TO LIVE HERE? This is one of the most
incredible places on earth and I get to live here.

AK Schnozz