Re: [OM] An Alaskan Golden Hour

Subject: Re: [OM] An Alaskan Golden Hour
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 23:12:03 -0900
> Amazing colour for that time of the day.  What time is sunrise & sunset ?

It literally depends on what side of the city you are on. I'm not
kidding, because we're far enough north that several kilometers in any
direction changes sunrise/sunset times by minutes.

Anyway, for winter solstice, sunrise is around 10:15AM and sunset is
around 3:45 PM. But that's a little misleading because the sun reaches
the highest point  in the sky of only around 5 degrees. The angle is
so shallow that twilight lasts a long time.

On the opposite side of the calendar, sunrise is around 4:15AM and
sunset is 11:45PM. However, the sun is only around 5 degrees below the
horizon, so it stays light all through the night.

It changes pretty rapidly, though. Since solstice, we've already
regained a half hour of sunlight every day. The month of February sees
things get back to normal. The excessive darkness is only December and
January. In just a few more days the sun will shine again here at the
house. It's blocked by a mountain to our south and it's obscured for
about seven weeks or so at the house. The first day or two sees the
sun hit our upstairs window for a few minutes, then the next day it
will briefly appear on the middle level, and a couple days later on
the bottom level.

As to our "golden hour" light treatment, with the sun less than 10
degrees above the horizon, there will always be some form of
atmospheric colorization. More than usual here in Alaska because of
the pollutants in the air that migrate towards the poles. We suffer
from whatever nasty garbage Europe and Russia pumps into the air. This
is one reason why there are so many cancers among those who live in
the Bering Straits region. Anyway, the twist to it is that the
colorization is slightly odd. The air is usually very clear (low
humidity). If we don't have clouds, we can usually see mountains 150
miles away. But there is a tint that is rather unearthly.

AK Schnozz