Re: [OM] The "Summer Barn"

Subject: Re: [OM] The "Summer Barn"
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 23:44:23 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Larry,

You got the scoop on Asbury Grove which is walking distance from our house and
the barn but not the scoop on Devon Glen.

As an aside, I have a bone to pick with Asbury Grove as they still have some
oddball deal with the town and barely pay property taxes.  I don't care if they
are Methodists or lapsed Druids, don't leave us with the tab to educate your
kids and not pay taxes.
The saying goes in Hamilton that people buy for the schools and educate and
vacate and leave the long term residents  (yours truly included) with the tab
for all the overrides.

The whole HUGE estate  (Devon Glen) where we board Carla was owned by John
Donovan, retired full professor at MIT, CEO of Cambridge Technology Group.  He
helped develop the birth defects info system for Tufts and contributed to
opened space preservation in Hamilton with  ECTA--Essex County Trail Assoc.
His wife Linda led the Hill Toppers with the  Myopia Hunt  (oldest hunt  in US)
and Marnie has ridden with her.  I met them both a few times at some  Hunt
things  (a scent is dragged, no foxes are harmed).  I've ridden on those trails
but never Hunted.  Marnie has ridden in the famous Thanksgiving Hunt.   We were
never members but one can pay a "capping fee."  In olden times it used to be
silver dropped in the Hunt's secretary's Hunt cap.

There is a looong sordid story about what happened to Professor John Donovan.
That is the scoop you missed.  He has his own Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_J._Donovan

Salem news account:

https://www.salemnews.com/news/local_news/troubled-business-guru-auctioning-off-estate/article_5a370cab-b674-546e-a97f-26828b9bba07.html

He used to live in the Big House on the estate now owned by "Mr. Bottomley."
JD now lives in a one bedroom apartment above the barn.

Wrong scoop, Mike