Re: [OM] [Leica] IMGS: Honduras Children

Subject: Re: [OM] [Leica] IMGS: Honduras Children
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 14:23:49 -0900
> Right!!!  "*The one sure way to circumvent grain aliasing problems, is not
> to use film that provokes those problems in the first place."*

Yes. I'll jump right on that.

The aliasing issue is something I've been able to largely address
through multi-pass scanning. One difference between the Nikon Coolscan
5000 and my V-ED is that the 5000 can do multi-pass in one pass,
whereas the V-ED does it as actual multiple passes. When I set it up
to use multi-pass in Vuescan, the more passes, the less aliasing
artifacts I get. The most I've done is around 20 passes. The beauty of
that is there is a slight loss of sharpness in the scan, however, it
takes sharpening a whole lot easier. It's almost "digital".

My default setting is single-pass, as I get the sharpest native scan
that way, but if I'm going to do extensive editing for a large print,
I'll do around five or six passes. (five plus the long exposure scan).

I've been experimenting with using a digital camera for "scanning"
slides and negatives. I'm not happy yet, but I'm starting to see some
hope. As to speed, it's faster in the digitization process, but
horribly longer in the spot cleaning process. Sharpness is good. I
think the resolution of the A7ii is leaving a lot of detail on the
table, but the higher density experiments I've done with the Panasonic
is showing me that there is a point where the aliasing is kicking in
again with higher pixel-density cameras.

AG (particles to pixels) Schnozz