Re: [OM] OT: Missing Packages

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Missing Packages
From: "Michael R. Collins" <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 18:38:46 -0500
DHL may be owned by Deutsch Post now, but the whole history of the company is very non-German. For early days and worldwide growth, read my ex-boss Jane Chung's massive and meticulously-researched "DHL: Three Letters That Shrank The World".

In 1979, I worked for Rapid Data in Hong Kong, a DHL subsidiary building a word processor (largely clone/ripoff of a Wang WP of the day). Larry Hillblom (the H of DHL) wanted to get into the electronic document transfer business too, sending documents over communications links worldwide between WPs in DHL offices (or, for large customers, selling them their own WPs). Concept was good and would have worked, but DHL internal politics killed the scheme for many reasons after about 2 years.

Hardware work was done in California (Los Gatos), programming and manufacture in Hong Kong, first deployments of early version in Bahrein and Saudi Arabia. When I needed to travel between offices (easy as a dual Brit / Canadian, no visas needed anywhere), I flew in place of the regular courier. You showed up at the airport, met the DHL agent who gave you a handful of baggage tags (BAH-LHR typically one ton of documents each way daily, 45 or so giant green canvas bags, DHL had a special ship-as-much-excess-baggage-as-you-wish-with-a-courier-on-board deal with many airlines, BA this case), met the DHL agent on arrival and handed over baggage tags, walked away. Special treat one time was BAH-LHR return as courier to go up to Bromsgrove (Birmingham area) to my gran's 90th b'day party. Not too special treat was spending a month in Bahrein; excitement was trying to keep equipment working at a trade show (MECOM) in massive tents with breezes off the desert, no A/C, air temp 40C+, RH < 10%.

Michael