Re: [OM] Orion

Subject: Re: [OM] Orion
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 20:02:23 -0800
> From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
>
> ... the Perseid meteor shower.

> The exposures were nearly the same, 20 sec @ 2.8, iso 200 vs 250 this
> time.

Most meteor showers peak at tens to low hundreds of meteors per hour. That
means one every 30 seconds to one every six minutes or so. So your odds of
catching one in a 20 second exposure is fairly low.

What body are you using? Olympus has this brilliant "Live Composite" mode that
does additive exposures on the bright parts only, thus reducing or eliminating
dark noise. Other cameras may have something similar, but from what I've heard,
Olympus's implementation is the best.

Here's one that I did for about an hour, trying to get the Alpha Monocerotid
Meteor Shower.

Note the one meteor I caught in that hour has a classic shape; what you got may
have been a satellite, which starts and ends suddenly, with even brightness
throughout.

The bright star trails just right of centre near the horizon are Orion.

http://www.bytesmiths.com/Personal/pix/Alpha%20Monocerotids.JPG

This was on an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, with the Olympus OM Zuiko 21mm f/2 on
a Metabones Speedbooster Ultra, for an effective 30mm SLR field of view at
f/1.4.

I was better at catching airliners than meteors! :-(

:::: My neighbor is a real energy saver -- hasn't been out of his hammock all
summer. -- Phil Pastoret <http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Phil+Pastoret> ::::