[OM] The Problem of Display

Subject: [OM] The Problem of Display
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 15:45:24 -0800
Out the kitchen window, I saw a still life*, provided by Mother Nature, a spider web with stuff caught in it. I took it's picture, and like the result a lot.

As screen background, sized for my 24" monitor, 1920x1200 it's arresting, a
large, lighted image in a small, dim room.

As an ~1200x900 image on Google Photos, it's nice, but not nearly AS nice.
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/zVbaF5L8cVvNXq6v5>

If you can view a ~1900x1200 image full screen, here it is. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous/Images&image=_A__4726_SCR.jpg>

Google Photos, Flickr and SmugMug mess with large images, with not so good
downsampling.

AKAG just posts large images, and lets the viewer deal with it. Or does he? Here's what Win7 says about one of his recent images on Firefox: "1,920px × 1,440px (scaled to 1,622px × 1,217px)" If I right click and choose "View Image" , I get the full resolution version. Switching between the two, it seems that it loses something in translation.

What sizes should I be posting? A good site for large, non-messed with images?

Befuddled Sizes Moose

* Temporarily still, as the next wind, from a different directions changed it a
lot, not for the better.