[OM] Nathan's PAD 13/10/2020: my sister's birthday

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 13/10/2020: my sister's birthday
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 19:06:54 +0200
The reason I went to Poland this week was to celebrate my sister’s birthday
with her and my brother-in-law. So we started the day with the traditional
birthday breakfast, beginning with a glass of champagne. My sister is 15 years
older than me, but I think she is keeping well:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-6PD9PHf/A

After breakfast, we went for a walk on a nearby island on the river Odra called
Ostrów Tumski, which houses Wrocław’s cathedral, the archbishop’s residence and
several other church buildings. It is a beautiful, peaceful spot to go for a
walk. But in the spring of 1945 it looked quite different, as documented by
photographs affixed to the buildings:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-6L2v6Jg/A

Wrocław (Breslau in German) was considered by Hitler as one of the most
important cities in the Third Reich, and the city was ordered not to surrender
as the Red Army was approaching. By February 1945 the city was surrounded and
the situation hopeless but still the suicidal defense was continued, and
Breslau surrendered only on 6 May 1945, just two days before the end of the
war. As a result, the city was almost completely destroyed, just like Berlin.
Many if not most of the old buildings one sees today are reconstructions to
varying degree.

This is what the spot in the previous photo looks like today:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-2LrmzMh/A

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"