Re: [OM] OT: Automotive Rant

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Automotive Rant
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 13:30:18 -0800
> Well, then I’ve had good luck all my life.

Most of my vehicles have been maintained through mom-and-pop shops.
I've had good luck with those as the owner fully understands how
relationships work. Dealer maintenance has almost always been 12
shades of horrible. The only stand-out exception was the BMW
dealership in Littleton Colorado. The one in Des Moines was really
good until an ownership change, whereas the one here in Anchorage must
never get visited by the BMW regional inspector because they're a
little bit more like walking into a Chrysler dealership than a BMW
dealership.

The quick oil-change places have been a bit more "adventuresome". I've
had good success, as well as a rear main seal from overfilling. My
"favorite" experience was with one Jeep where the oil filter was
completely jammed in place. I had the oil changed multiple times and
the person just pretended to have changed the filter. One day, I
changed my own oil on that vehicle and had to resort to full-blown
destruction to get the filter off. The filter was completely rotted
away inside, and it was half filled with sludge. As I had purchased
this vehicle used, I assume that it was stuck on that car for many
years. I think I had it for over two years myself at that point. That
filter easily had 50,000+ miles on it.

AG Schnozz