Re: [OM] Byron Glacier and Fall Colors

Subject: Re: [OM] Byron Glacier and Fall Colors
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 15:25:18 -0800
Frustrated Moose wrote:
> I suspect that would get me thinking about throwing both against a big rock,
> hard.

I've been there, considered that.

> There's an interesting  - whatever - that's just a tiny dot in the VF. Just
> too many moments like that. The Panny ZS200
> is a little bigger and heavier than the XA, although it's got flash built in
> and is smaller than XA plus A11. Focal
> range, 24-360 eq. The 1" sensor starts to fall apart above ISO 800 - but wait
> - so did ASA 800 film!

I don't think your comparison is quite fair because you are comparing
near-pocket sized cameras from two entirely different eras. The XA led
to the Stylus series, which typically had a short 35-70 zoom or
something similar. Eventually, we got to where we are at now. But when
the XA came out, there was absolutely nothing else quite like it.

And the reality is, if you are going to have a single focal-length
lens, 28-35mm (ff equivalent) is the sweet spot. Nearly every
cell-phone camera (before the latest stupidity of multiples) is in
that focal-length range. I always said that my dying grasp camera/lens
would be the OM-2S with 35/2.8 lens. I've varied that slightly to the
OM-3Ti and 35/2 lens, but the theory still holds. If I could only take
one camera (film) and one lens, that would be it.

And I'd want to throw it against a big rock once in a while, but we're
talking about the apocalypse anyway.

AG Schnozz