Re: [OM] OT: Speaking of Claciers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Speaking of Claciers
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 10:51:34 -0800
>      A potential disasterous natural event is on the verge of taking place
> along the Barry Arm in Alaska, east of Anchorage and northeast of Whittier.
> A mountain slope is slowly sliding down due to the lack of support from the
> receding Barry Glacier, a result of global climate change.  This slope is
> anticipated to fully separate suddenly, according to USGS:

That's one of a couple of very touchy spots. I was talking with
somebody with the USGS recently about it and this report does have a
lot of interesting assumptions. First of all, the assumption that the
glacier was holding up the slope is one that the science isn't quite
as clear on as the headlines declare, But the biggest issue with this
mountain slope is the lack of stability and the shearing. The
mountains on the east side of the Chugach Range tend to have more
sheering potential than the western mountains. Climate change or not,
there are several slopes that will collapse just because that's what
they do.

On a positive note, nobody lives around there.

AK Schnozz