[OM] Big, beautiful beetle

Subject: [OM] Big, beautiful beetle
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 22:10:32 -0700
We took another day excursion to Deception Pass, this time to the north side of channel. After a hike, we sat on a log on the beach. I noticed this rather impressive beetle crawling toward me. After I gently discouraged him from crawling on my trousers, we had a photo session.  Like a temperamental model, he hissed and squealed at me a couple of times. But he needn't have worried. After I finished, he crawled away unharmed. Later I looked him up. He's a Banded Alder Borer. Though I'd never seen one before, they are fairly common in the Pacific coastal region.

Here he is posing on wood:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/50307063126/in/dateposted-public/>

And here's a portrait. Impressive chompers and antennae.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/50307216042/in/dateposted-public/>

And here he is, with my U.S. size 13 sneaker (EU size 47, UK 12) included for scale. The body alone is about 1.25" long.  The antennae are longer than the body, so he's a male.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/50307063161/in/dateposted-public/>

Olympus E-M5 with Panasonic/Leica 25/1.4 and Olympus 45/1.8. And a lot of cropping, as neither of these are really macro lenses.  Click on photo to enlarge, press F11 for full screen.  Enjoy!

--Peter