Re: [OM] HDrive

Subject: Re: [OM] HDrive
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 10:50:43 -0800
Amazon is usually a good source for hard-drives. But for those of us with
Costco memberships, there are certain bargains that are hard to ignore.
Electronics items aren't always the best thing to get at Costco because the
items are frequently last-year models or sometimes a "gelding" version is
provided to select big-box stores. However, in this specific case, the
hard-drive is the current one of that class.

An example of this is that we also just purchased a Bose 450 bluetooth
speaker at Costco for an absolute bargain price. We grabbed one of the very
last two available. It serves dual-purpose -- obviously for the cellphones,
but also for hooking up to Karen's stage piano/keyboard. It's one of the
very last speaker-thingies like this that still has an aux input. While it
was a close-out item, the price was exactly what we were wanting to spend
and the sound is OTT amazing.

As to hard drive failures, in recent years I have had a Seagate 2TB pack it
in. However, in regards to operational stability, the Seagates have been
more stable on the MacBook Pro than the WD drives. I think the WD Passport
drives have been doing better on my Windows laptops, but for the Apple, it
seems to like the Seagates better. For whatever reason, encryption and the
Macbook Pro don't always seem to get along well. I've been doing almost
every variant of drive/security/format with the computers and there doesn't
seem to be any one configuration that I can point to and say "THAT'S IT!"
Other than the Samsung T5 SSD running ExFat. But I really dislike running
commando like that as ExFat isn't encrypted and only the WD Passports have
any form of hardware encryption. Unfortunately, as I run dual platforms, my
"shared" drives have to be ExFat. The "unshared" drives had been NTFS
(Windows) or APFS (Apple).

At the moment, my configuration is this:

Primary computer:
Apple Mackbook pro.
Seagate 5TB external formatted APFS (encrypted).

Secondary computer:
Lenovo Yoga (two of them).
WD Passport 4TB external formatted ExFat (hardware encrypted).

Shared work drive:
Samsung 1TB external SSD formatted ExFat - used as primary intake drive and
for portable use with just my current year files.

Backups:
Currently using a WD 5TB and two Passport 2TB drives for backups. One set
offsite.

I'll be getting another Seagate in a few days and will use that as my
primary drive for the Windows computer and it will be formatted NTFS
because of encryption. At that point, all the WD drives will become backups.

It literally takes an entire weekend to duplicate drives. Ugh. I did thin
some of the image herd, but still...

AG Schnozz