Re: [OM] {OT] In Stressful Times

Subject: Re: [OM] {OT] In Stressful Times
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:52:40 -0800
> I am surprised Ken can report a major outbreak in the US with few hospital
> admissions.  According to a surgeon neighbour who works in a major UK city,
> at the peak of the epidemic he was treating patients who had broken bones
> when they collapsed while isolating at home before hospitalisation was
> deemed necessary for recognised Covid19 care.   Perhaps Alaska has a
> younger population with stronger bones than the UK?  Fortunately, I have
> only one member of the wider family who has struggled with the disease (she
> is a hospital doctor).

There has been an opposite effect that has been seen. People who
needed to address non-Covid health issues were denied access in health
care to make room for POTENTIAL Covid cases that never materialized.
These people are now hitting the hospitals with more severe issues
than if they had access all along. People have died because they were
denied health-care in hospitals that had open capacity.

So far, Alaska has had limited Covid cases, but we do have cases.
Because of the nature of our medical system here, we do need to be
careful because we could have a disaster really quick. There is very
little excess capacity and we have limited transport options to the
lower-48. Fortunately, the number of hospitalizations is far less than
expected or projected. In fact, they've tracked other flu/virus
hospitalizations.

AK Schnozz