Re: [OM] Back to the 600/6.5 (and a surprise plater!) [was Managed to sn

Subject: Re: [OM] Back to the 600/6.5 (and a surprise plater!) [was Managed to snag a 1000 f11 zuiko]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 11:45:25 -0700
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>>
On 7/9/2020 6:30 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

Not sure how well IBIS works with the OM 600mm? Could it do 1/40 handheld?
Not a clue. I've only shot it on tripod and without IBIS. I can't imagine
wielding that lens hand held to much advantage. Jan says he's done it.
Didn’t say it was fun or practical, but it is possible.

The Dalai Lama tells me the purpose of my life is to be happy. Fun works, Practical works, Possible without one of the others doesn't work. :-)

If I know in advance that I need to hand-hold something in that range, I take
the OM Zuiko 500/8 Reflex. I can do tack-sharp with that one at a 60th. Below
that, even minor subject motion becomes a problem.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/choices-to-get-to-600mm-equiv-35mm-focal-length.107957/page-2#post-1370005

Yea, it’s a bit shorter and slower, but a slower,

Leaving aside the fact that I'm not about to use either lens for anything more
than fun . . .

Shorter - My absolutely mint looking 500/8 is much shorter than my new to me
600/6.5, as the 600 is really more like 675.

Slower - Yes and no. f6.5 is only half a stop faster. The 600 is a classic design, not at its best wide open. I wouldn't use it wide open.

Sharper, or even as sharp - Nope. My 500 resolves significantly less in controlled testing than the 600, both @ f8. The 600 continues to get sharper as it's stopped down. The 500 has higher contrast, but that's a non issue these days. Test was on FF, but I'm only referring here to the center, so valid for 4/3 sensor size.

For hand held, of course, there might be no practical difference.

If it's "mine is bigger than yours", I'll pull out the Meade 1000/11.

shorter picture is better than no picture.

As I pointed out, the pixel size of my 600 on 25 MP FF is the same as my PL 100-400 on 20 MP µ4/3. With a 600 that's actually 600, the µ4/3 image would be larger, and resolve as much or more at a faster aperture.

No-brainer. Anything other than fooling around goes to the PLeica 100-400 on
µ4/3.

Hand Holding Moose