Re: [OM] Creating aluminium based images

Subject: Re: [OM] Creating aluminium based images
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 16:14:05 -0800
> BayPhoto just recently launched "Epic prints."  "Epic Prints consist of a
> fine art collector-level print on Fujiflex Crystal Archive Photographic Paper
> mounted on sturdy Aluminum Composite (ACM) or .07-inch Aluminum."  These are
> said to have 610 dpi resolution!!!  I doubt they are as tough as metal prints
> though.

I've gotten variations of this theme done. The biggest problem with
this surface mounting is the exposed edges. But almost without
exception, the look is more of a print bonded to some material like
matboard but isn't matboard. (I've done many bonded to canvas and they
look great when placed into frames). I had a "metallic" print bonded
to an aluminum sheet. That actually worked. But I am very leary of
standard surface paper looking right.  I actually like the metallic
print paper a lot and it is ideal for bonding to non-standard
surfaces. In reality, as it tends to surface dent so easily, I really
do recommend the metallic paper be bonded to a hard material no matter
what. Aluminum, glass, acrylic, masonite, styrene are all acceptable
materials for metallic prints. Double-weight matboard is bare minimum
for this paper type. The material has to be hard so it doesn't dent or
bend. Anything foam is a non-starter for metallic prints.

The biggest problem I'm seeing with the aluminum prints is that it's
an aesthetic which may be running its course. There are a couple more
prints I may have done on that material, but the current market
direction appears to be more towards backside-printed Gloss Acrylics.
I do think those may have several more years of popularity in them
before we eventually turn back towards framed and matted prints behind
non-reflective glass as the universal norm.

I sell the occasional print here in Alaska. As each one is done to
order, they are specific to the customer's request. Almost every print
is mounted to masonite or styrene and then custom framed. The masonite
and styrene is a game-changer and I prefer to not use anything else
for traditional print mounting.

Foam board will NEVER be used by me again.

AG Schnozz