[OM] Meyer Optik Gorlitz

Subject: [OM] Meyer Optik Gorlitz
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 05:30:59 -0700
When bad bokeh is good bokeh or "artistic", and vintage lens formulas.

Looking through m43 lens offerings, or Sony 3rd party lenses, I came across
various vintage style lenses coming back. One is the Meyer Optik Gorlitz lens.
Another is Zenit lenses. I'm sure there are others. I'm not that familiar with
"vintage" optics or the "magic" they impart, so am fascinated by their appeal.
I do have a bent for the more abstract, so was curious about these lenses.

One example is the 100mm Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm, available in Sony
and M43s. Here are some interesting photos with the 100mm:

https://petapixel.com/2020/06/16/meyer-optik-gorlitz-trioplan-100mm-f-2-8-ii-brings-back-bubble-bokeh/

In a similar vain, are Zenit lenses.

https://zenit.store/collections/m42-mount-zenit-lenses/products/zenit-mc-helios-40-2-85mm-f-1-5-lens-in-m42-mount

What is curious to me is these lenses seem to defy what is considered good and
bad bokeh by Ken Rockwell's definition, where they would be classified as "Poor
Bokeh": https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

Yet I do find their rendering interesting. Are today's modern lenses, computer
optimized, loosing the "magic". I'd be interested in what others think creates
that magic element with lenses?

Another dimension to go experiment with.

WayneS