Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 22: more freedom

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 22: more freedom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 12:25:05 -0700
On 6/2/2020 11:04 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
Last week I could again do things which we take for granted in normal times,
but in these times they are a treat: get together with friends, go for long
bike rides etc. Working at home has its benefits; I still put in the same hours
but I save the commute to the office, and I can work in shorts since nobody
sees the lower part of my body on Zoom. A nice and pleasant week with friends,
cute dogs, and lots of beautiful light:

http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws/?page_id=2921
<http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws/?page_id=2921>

I perceive a difference between what is allowed and what is safe. "Such visits are now allowed, with maximum 10 participants." There is a difference between a fine and a potentially fatal disease.

The only difference between gatherings of 5, 10 or 20, from a risk point of view is lower risk that one or more are infected. For the person in a gathering with an infected person, the risk is the same in any of these sizes. The other factor of importance is the physical intimacy and length of exposure.

Even when not fatal, it can be terrible. Our niece in Milan has been recovering
for weeks, and is still not entirely well.

I would not participate in such a gathering today, unless all participants had had v. recent tests. We do not get together with my local son and brother. Careful as we are, and certain as I am that we are not infected, the fact remains that many who are infected don't show symptoms for at least a few days, during which time they are infectious. How can I be sure, in a place where casual, on-demand testing does not exist?

My brother's wife has survived a genetic kidney disease that killed her father and brother, courtesy of a foolish young man whose kidney was a perfect match for her. Nevertheless, she will remain immune compromised all the rest of her life. My brother has various health failings. My son and his girlfriend are pushing 50, and in good general health. How would I feel if one of these people died as a result of my reliance on rules, rather than care?

I hope your assessment of risk proves correct, and all remain well.

Cautious in Quarantine Moose