Re: [OM] An Alaskan Sunset

Subject: Re: [OM] An Alaskan Sunset
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 12:58:11 -0800
> Nice!  Your timing was flawless.  I tried to stop, while driving in the
> Smokies, and catch one like that, and I was WAY too slow.

Thank you. I was fortunate that the trail crossed the terminator at
the right time. The last two miles of the trail are on the west side
of the valley, but the rest of the trail is on the east side of the
valley. This picture was taken at the point where the trail crosses
over to the other side and passed through the terminator. I took a
bunch of pictures and would step back and forth a few feet to get my
variations. At that time of year, the sun moves more sideways than
down, so what would happen is I would step into the shadow and a
minute later I was back in the sun again. Golden hour is more like
half the day, interrupted by three blue hours.

What's funny is that we got three major sunsets that day. First one
was about a half hour earlier, and the last one about an hour later
when we cleared the valley and got the sun setting over the Alaska
Range.

This is one of my favorite trails to hike and I also hiked it
yesterday. Our house is directly off the end of the valley, about 2600
feet lower elevation than where this picture was taken. The ridge is
about 2000 higher than the camera location.

AK Schnozz