Re: [OM] IMG: Song Sparrow

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Song Sparrow
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 14:48:46 -0700
A collision with a neighbor's window once led to me carrying a full-grown
osprey, knocked senseless, out of the small dirt street in front of our
house. I intended to place it up on a shed roof just a couple of houses
away, out of reach of neighborhood dogs. Osprey are much larger than you
might think when photographing or observing from a distance, and their
talons are impressive. It's a toss-up which of us was more startled when it
came to before I'd gotten there. Luckily, neither of us was injured in the
resulting emergency evacuation made by the bird.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 9:47 PM Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A truly beautiful bird!  You captured very nice feather details.
>
> Doug Herr, "The Bird Man of Sacramento", would have been proud to claim
> that one.
>
> On 4/19/20 11:39 PM, Moose wrote:
> > On 4/18/2020 8:05 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> >> I've had a few stunned birds fall on my patio, after striking the
> >> picture window.  This window is near a corner in an L-shaped house.
> >> A few years ago, an enterprising sharp-shinned hawk figured out that,
> >> if he hid in bushes along the fence, and flew toward the feeders when
> >> birds were there, they would fly into the window trying to escape,
> >> and he would scoop one up and be gone.  I finally had to let the
> >> feeders sit empty for a month before he moved on somewhere else.
> >
> > Why do we penalize the clever ones? :-)
> >
> > We had the reverse situation. Where we have our feeders is narrow for
> > maneuvering by sparrow hawks. A Coopers Hawk crashed into a window
> > there with a mighty thud. We assume it was trying to catch a bird from
> > the feeders and mistook a reflection for a bird.
> >
> > It was able to fly to a nearby branch, then sat there for a while,
> > getting it's bearing again. Long enough for me to run for camera and
> > take some photos. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22581>
> >
> > A print hangs on a wall here.
> >
> > Opportunity Knocks Moose
> >
> --