[OM] Stonewall - Colorado Velvia Pictures

Subject: [OM] Stonewall - Colorado Velvia Pictures
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 10:58:22 -0800
http://zone-10.com/d1/node/343

Stonewall. An old mining building south of St. Elmo, Colorado, along
the 4wd road to Hancock Lake. Olympus OM-4T with OM Lenses 24/2.8 and
50/3.5. Fujichrome Velvia. From 2009.

Images are scanned using the Nikon Coolscan V-ED and Vuescan.
Processed in Lightroom. Details to follow...

The images are a touch grainy, which is not uncommon for single-pass
Velvia scans on the Nikon. Any images destined for high-quality prints
will be subject to a 5 or 6-pass scanning process. The more passes,
the lower the grain. One pass is sharpest, three is least sharp, 5 or
6 passes is sharp again as the sample variability is averaged out.

Viewscan is configured for "image", tiff output, manual color, (1,1,1)
and 0% white, 0% black. Medium dust removal. No cropping--include the
mount. No skew correction and absolutely no anti-aliasing.

As a starting point in Lightroom, these are my initial adjustments
that I can use to correct for the digitization process and give me a
baseline to work from - otherwise, it's always a tail-chasing exercise
as each image is a solo expedition:

Highlights: -100
Shadows: +100
Whites: +65 (or so, this is just a starting point)
Blacks: -5 (or so, this is just a starting point)
Texture: +10
Clarity: +10
Dehaze: +10
Vibrance: +10
Sharpening: +50
Luminance Noise Reduction: +15
Color Noise Reduction: +100
Remove Chromatic Aberration: Checked

Provia is similar.

Again, this is just a starting point. This is also based on how I
happen to expose my images. But what I have found is that there is a
HUGE amount of information hidden in the shoulder and toe that is
missing in the initial scan and may not even be apparent on the light
table.

There will be a LOT of adjustment to this as i go back to revisit the
library with the settings and see where my default start point should
be.

Also note that I'm not at all happy with the graininess of the images
in this process. The tradeoff is low-noise (grain) and flat, or
high-noise (grain) and colorful and "current" image styles. Sharpening
can be increased a lot past this point if the mask is adjusted to just
clear the threshold of the grain.

AG Schnozz