Re: [OM] America / Firearms

Subject: Re: [OM] America / Firearms
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 17:09:14 -0700
On 4/19/2020 3:13 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Chilling.  Fortunately, the constitution says that he can't.

Oversimplified. He may, in fact, be able to postpone the election. From my reading, there are some tricky legal points. OTOH, he may not remain in office, so the presidency becomes vacant, and the Constitutional order of succession takes over to name a president.

According to the Constitution, the terms of Trump, Pence, Speaker of the House Pelosi all still expire, election or not. Their terms are terms of fixed years, not until someone else is elected. They are out of office. Next in line is the Senate Majority leader, which might or might not be the current one, as 1/3 of Senators also term out.

I'm sure no one knows for sure what would happen if some states went ahead with congressional elections for their own congresspeople.

Fun With Speculation Moose