Re: [OM] America / Firearms

Subject: Re: [OM] America / Firearms
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 15:53:07 -0700
On 4/19/2020 1:37 PM, JOHN DUGGAN via olympus wrote:

Just catching up on various news reports regarding Coronavirus. Listening to Agent Orange's latest pronouncements I watched a news report showing Rightwing groups armed with Military grade weaponry joining protests against "Lockdown".  To see this in a country with a history of Political assassinations and mass killings really shocked me. How can a supposedly civilised country allow idiots with the intelligence level of a peanut to proudly parade the streets legally armed to the teeth.
Word really fail me.

Part of the deal that got our Constitution approved was a package of ten
amendments, called The Bill of Rights.

The Second Amendment is very terse, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Its roots in a new country that had to fight a war with another to get
independence are clear.

It has been controversial from its inception. The current legal status ignores "A well regulated Militia" and makes ". . . the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." the operative part.

The push-pull over this is just one example of the political disagreements endemic in our country. If, for whatever reason, you would like to understand the cultural roots of this dichotomy, I recommend "American Nations", by Colin Woodard. It is, IMO, a better analysis and exposition than the earlier "The Nine Nations of North America" by Joel Garreau"

Fragmented Moose