Re: [OM] How Wide is Wide? [was New Sonie lens 20/1.8]

Subject: Re: [OM] How Wide is Wide? [was New Sonie lens 20/1.8]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 22:00:57 -0700
On 3/27/2020 3:25 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
WOW, small world!
Irish roots. My ancestors were from Cork. In the 1990s I traveled
there many times on business.

I wouldn't want to live in Galway itself. It may have changed a great deal
since you were there. Very crowded, lots of
clogged traffic. Lots of tourists, even in mid October. Must be a real zoo in
the summer.
Exactly. Interestingly enough, I found it to be a near perfect
doppelganger for Traverse City, Michigan. The look, feel, and overall
dynamic was the same.

No wonder you felt at home. :-)

Have you been to the village of Cong? Off season, at least, a lovely little
place, with good ruins and a beautiful park/arboretum across the little river
bridge.
Just drove through it. By that part of the day, we were worn out

LOL We came back in the dark from every trip out in to the country. Everyone else got to rest or snooze. I got to drive on the left in the (very) dark. We need to go someplace else where I can keep my RHD driving skills up. Wales this Fall, virus willing.

and eager to get back to Galway.

We were only in Galway for part of one day. We were staying in a B&B in Teach Nam Bo, out west. We drove in, just across the river, parked in a garage (tight for a Toyota Corolla!), wandered, had an excellent lunch in an ancient pub, shopped, looked, got tired, drove "home".
Kylemore Abbey was a zoo. I would have liked to have explored it some,
but we had our then 2-month old daughter with us so we limited the
foot exploring a bit.

We tend to wander, and, with me driving, stop for photos. ;-)  We got to Kylemore later than ideal. It was not crowded at all. By the time we'd seen the abbey, chapel, etc. we decided it was too late for the formal gardens. The last ride to the gardens was just leaving, we'd have had only a short time - and - it was October, not ideal gardens time.

Clifden was the strangest town for us. It was not only a complete tourist
bottleneck,

Not many tourists when we were there, but there was some sort of horse market.
The road in was lined with horse carriers.

but we felt a very odd "evil" there that we didn't have a clue what it was
about, but we didn't want to stick around. We ate lunch and zipped on our way.

We didn't much like it, it didn't feel like the other places we visited, although more dead than bad. I did get a lovely pair of gloves on sale, angora and fine mohair, with silvery threads in the index finger tips, so they operate my phone screen. Much warmer than my knit gloves from Maine, but still flexible enough to operate a camera.

We didn't feel like having dinner there, probably the same sort of feeling you had. So we drove to Maam Cross, where we'd eaten well before. But apparently it was cattle market day there, and a strange buffet, rather than the restaurant.

Let's see... How old is my daughter? I really do need to scan that
film. Yikes! September of 1997.

Time flies.

Connemara Moose