Re: [OM] IMGS: Drying Fish

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Drying Fish
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 16:01:16 -0700
On 3/12/2020 11:54 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
PESO:

This is probably a good illustration of how I think differently when
photographing color and B&W:

More concerned with the light and faces:

https://pbase.com/tinamanley/image/170511656

More concerned with the color and patterns

https://pbase.com/tinamanley/image/170511657

Intellectually, I "get" what you are saying, but not visually. My problem.

Yet, the comparison isn't "fair". I don't know how much is inherent in the originals and how much is processing, but there are some big differences in contrast/tonality. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/B&W08427-Color08447.htm>

The contrast of the B&W shot is much higher than that of the color shot. I've shown reduced contrast, as well as, as close as I can come, the contrast level of the color shot, which is really blah in B&W.

The color shot is low contrast, but high saturation. I've shown how much more natural, to my eye, lower saturation is. I've then done a straight desaturation and a PS default B&W conversion, both low contrast, but pleasant. Finally, the tone curve of the B&W shot applied to the color conversion to B&W, which has nice, dramatic "pop".

I realize your processing is aimed at sales. Of course, but it makes for an
unfair comparison of monochrome vs. color.

I think I prefer the B&W in this case but sometimes not.

Might that be, at least in part, because the composition of the color one is
much better?

The background on the left of the B&W shot is way too busy, distracting my eye, esp. from the kid on that side. The color one replaces that with both a less busy background and a longer row of fish as foreground, concentrating attention on the subject(s) and tying in beautifully as line with the reaching movement of the kind on the left.

Discerning Eye Moose