Re: [OM] How the eye sees colour

Subject: Re: [OM] How the eye sees colour
From: Philippe <photo.philippe.amard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 20:45:06 +0100
What I know is that colours are cultural - the 7 seven colours of the « rainbow
» are a good example of it. Newton chose 7 as Disney chose his 7 dwarves, God
her seven days, and my mother my seven fingers …

The limit for example between orange and yellow varies from language to
language, Spanish is a famous example where what you might consider orange is
called yellow for instance.

Eskimos are also said to make differences in whites that no European would even
notice. Americans might be different ;-) This white, and the ice will be ok to
be trodden upon, that one, and death is certain. They consequently have
according to research up to 90 words for white …

More interestingly the colours are also cone dependent, the preripheral vision
is mostly BW, colour only affects the centre. Hence the wide variations
depending on your eye conditions.

Amities

Philippe