Re: [OM] IMG: End of an Era - or perhaps not?

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: End of an Era - or perhaps not?
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 23:47:29 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
> Yes, and yet . . . It does appear that Laplink PCmover software may give
me
> the best of both worlds. It claims to migrate just those apps one wants,
> leaving behind the dross, while avoiding endless re-installations, and the
> search for original installation packages for at least a few.
>
> It also claims to work from discs, not only PC to PC.

Perhaps that would work for Moose, though still is quite fussy.  A clean Win 10
(?Pro) on an SSD --take out and install in enclosure or just change boot
drives--I don't remember how that is done anymore. May be able to just change
boot order and use PC mover to migrate the files/programs. Programs with fancy
DRM--digital rights management  will likely complain.  I have a few programs
linked to the hardware and have to email the vendor if change the system so it
will work--grumble.

Certainly more expensive to try, but if works saves a ton of effort.  I am very
slowly updating the new system with fresh installs, which may be cleaner but
very very slow going.  As the other system is fine and both will be used, that
is probably OK.
I have the VM in win 7 working like a top for some legacy apps I use and may
stick it out awhile.  Win 10 pro can be configured to run XP in a VM, but might
need the XP software--not sure.

Slow going, Mike