Re: [OM] Roofers

Subject: Re: [OM] Roofers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 07:41:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I redid my own roof over 20 years ago.  After watching roofers around
here, I didn't want any of them touching mine.  It was a "strip cedar" roof
with cedar shingles and 8" planks spaced 7" apart.  I had to take up each plank
so I could fill in the spaces with new planks.  Took over four months.  While
doing it, I found myself in a photo in Google Earth where I was standing next
to the A/C drinking a cup of coffee.

     The original roof did not have a single galvanized nail in it, which was a
significant UBC violation.  And both the electrical drop and the sewer vent did
not have jacks.  The sewer vent had an entire can of roofing cement packed
around it, and the electrical drop had nothing.  Every time it rained the water
would come down to the breaker box and flow around it.

     This was built by one of the better builders in 1965.  I would hate to see
what the bad ones did.

>I have done roofs, once on a hot Texas roof, once in New England. People
>used to just put down a layer over the old shingles, which appears to be
>the case here. Could be 3 or 4 layers.
>
>Most of the danger is stepping on the nails or being down below. Good
>shoes are important.
>
>Hopefully they get it done before the next rain or snow.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson