Re: [OM] Proper Exposure [was Best ISO for landscapes with E-M1 Mk11?]

Subject: Re: [OM] Proper Exposure [was Best ISO for landscapes with E-M1 Mk11?]
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 22:39:09 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Nattering Nabob of Nullity or perspicacious pragmatist,  Moose writes:
<<So many exposure control aids, histograms, flashing lights, zebras, etc., are
derived from the JPEG that one becomes suspicious. Yup, I use them, and they
are useful, but not entirely reliable.

It is odd that this has not been corrected in firmware.  It clearly can be
done! There is a way to tweak the settings for Sonnie that Zebras closely
parallel the raw files, but it isn't perfect.  CHDK and Magic Lantern  (hacked
firmware) allowed RGB or luminance histo/zebras based on raw data for several
years now.
Last I checked only the red dot company allowed for that.  As I've learned the
hard way as well as cautionary advice from Moose, a color channel (esp red
flowers) can easily be clipped with a normal looking luminance histo or zebra.

R = Y + 1.403V'   One can clip at V=127, i.e. at Y=77 (only 30% brightness).
Green channel more difficult to saturate, so I have read.

Custom button to set raw RGB zebra on half press would solve the issue, Mike