Re: [OM] Interesting denoise comparison

Subject: Re: [OM] Interesting denoise comparison
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 21:08:15 -0800
On 11/3/2019 7:32 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 11/3/2019 01:55 AM, Philippe wrote:

How do you get that amount of noise at ISO 800 ?

Should be clean from the start on a Sony, should it not?
It was shot at -1EV, and boosted in ACR by +2EV, not to mention boosting the
blacks  (ACR shadows +80, blacks +50). Not sure how those numbers translate
into extra EV boosting. The images were quite dark unprocessed. Sony tends to
optimize for highlights vs Nikon for shadows.

Huh. Don't know how I skipped this short dialog. We had a house guest, but I usually catch up. Might have saved you some trouble.

The noise problem here is a problem with order of actions in post processing. My general rule is - NR before anything that will affect grain (or grain visibility.) Puling down highlights is usually no problem. Pulling up shadows/blacks moderately may be OK at base ISO.

Otherwise - NR FIRST!
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/SonyNR/2LipsNR.htm>

Not quite a perfect counterpart to you post, but close enough, I think to make the point. An ISO 800 shot I intentionally took @ -1.67 EV, to focus on the flowers in late light.

Not sure why you shot @ -1 EV, then upped it by +2. Anyway, with this different subject, -1 2/3, then +1 was about all I could see doing. Pretty bad noise.. I then went overboard with your Shadows +80 and Blacks +50. The noise is similar to yours, and awful.

Then, I did a straight ACR conversion into PS, leaving a dark, slightly grainy
image. I applied Topaz Denoise AI to taste.

I then used the ACR sliders within PS (Ctrl-Shift-A) to apply the adjustments. Up one stop looks fine for noise. Adding the other adjustments shows a little noise. If that's too much, a second, milder application of Denoise AI takes care of it. And I couldn't resist pulling the highlights down a little.

<>
Sometimes I get lost in the numbers, so real world examples are better.

Absolutely!

In Order Moose