[OM] School Closings - Alaska Style

Subject: [OM] School Closings - Alaska Style
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 15:46:55 -0900
Category: Alaska Oddities

They actually close school in the winter for WARM WEATHER!

True!

The rest of the story is that when it gets above freezing and it's
raining, that you'll end up with water on ice. As we don't use road
salt, it becomes extremely hazardous. The other truth is that we
really don't plow the roads here either, so when we get these
conditions, it's a real mess.

That's why many people have studded tires.

We had a warm up and strong winds up somewhere around 90 mph that
melted our snow away. (the warm up was caused by the descending air
coming down the slopes, triggered by an airmass buildup over Prince
William Sound. When that breaks through over the mountains, it creates
huge downslope winds that funnel down through our valley.

Otherwise, just another "boring" day here in "photographers' paradise".

AK Schnozz