Re: [OM] Olympus Published a Book the OM System Lens Handbook

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Published a Book the OM System Lens Handbook
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 20:51:25 -0800
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

On 12/8/2019 2:15 PM, Mark Kronquist wrote:
Oversize paperback  The copy in the book suggests that there are other books in
the series yet I have never seen one   Has anyone?
It's a really odd duck...
It looks to me as though someone decided to do a classy book, money was
budgeted, then various different
ideas pulled this way and that, resulting in something odder than a platypus.
Really? I'm just going through my copy, and I can't say I agree. It seems to
have a fairly consistent design. I like that it starts off with the works of
photographers using Olympus products,

They fooled you. Find any reference to Olympus equipment in the first section, which presents famous pictures by five famous photographers. They are simply trying to associate Oly with famous photogs. There is mention of focal lengths, but never of Oly.

Section two involves no one famous. Oly sent a group of four Japanese guys on a trip to wander around the US, taking pictures until they ran out of the budget of time and/or money. It's a pleasant enough road trip gallery, although the book design gives too much prominence to text and white space, so many of the images are tiny. I end up squinting.

Section three is a nice photo essay about Antarctica. It's by a Japanese guy who is not, according to the bio, a pro photographer, but he has done a nice job.

(Why the set of shots showing AoVs of lenses is here, not back with the lens
descriptions isn't clear to me.)

The next section pulls the same trick as the first, but now trying to associate Oly with Magnum. Again, they paid for rights to stock photos and printed them with little bios. No Oly gear mentioned, which means none used.

talks about the lens line-up,

Not in substance better than the many small Lens Handbooks, but really pretty. You didn't mention the little bit of history and lens design info at the beginning of this section.

then finishes up with a system review and definitions of technical terms.

Yup. The second half as a whole is a really nice summary. Although the system summary omits photos of many pieces of gear that are mentioned. The e-SIF is superior in tech details.

I note that this book is not copyrighted. It's such a great book that I'm
tempted to take it apart to do a proper digitizing job on it and then post it
on the Internet, but I just can't bring myself to do tear apart a perfectly
great book.

It's not hard to find another one. :-)

Are you aware of this fairly comprehensive list, made by members of this list,
of Oly pubs, manuals, data sheets,
pamphlets and books?
<http://web.archive.org/web/20110720030514/http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/manuals.list>
Thanks for reminding me that the WayBackMachine still knows about Lee Hawkins's
Olympus info that was at the Brashear School website. That URL is currently 404
in real time.

The e-SIF is a remarkable thing, comprehensive and accurate, and including
manuals for most of the items.
The eSIF is missing an entire section that I got somewhere else that includes
detailed service information for the bodies. I think those things came from the
Lee Hawkins pages.

Sounds more like Mark Dapoz' dementix.org site, which is still live.
<http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/olympus_hw.html>

Moose D'Opinion