Re: [OM] Olympus Published a Book the OM System Lens Handbook

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Published a Book the OM System Lens Handbook
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 22:19:45 -0800
On 12/8/2019 2:15 PM, Mark Kronquist wrote:
Oversize paperback  The copy in the book suggests that there are other books in
the series yet I have never seen one   Has anyone?

OM System books were frequent topics here over a long period. I think I acquired at least one version of all of them. I have no recollection of ever hearing about a second book to follow this one.

It's a really odd duck. It reminds me of the old saw about camel as horse designed by committee. (Such a crappy metaphor.) It looks to me as though someone decided to do a classy book, money was budgeted, then various different ideas pulled this way and that, resulting in something odder than a platypus.

Are you aware of this fairly comprehensive list, made by members of this list, of Oly pubs, manuals, data sheets, pamphlets and books? <http://web.archive.org/web/20110720030514/http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/manuals.list>

The listing for Lens Handbooks has a typo; year for the second one should be 1985. That's the copy I have. I'm sure it's just a second printing of the same material.

As the last version we knew of of the "Zuiko Interchangeable Lens Group" booklet with over 80 pages is from 1983, and the 1/86 version is only 32 pages, I imagine that the second half of the book you have is the latest full OM lens handbook, with lengthy descriptive text and with example photos..

Honestly, I never refer to the hard copy info. I use the on-line version of the Olympus Sales Information File. <http://omesif.moosemystic.net/om-sif/about.htm>

As you can see, Hans did have the 1985 Lens Handbook, as well as later pages
from the File.
The e-SIF is a remarkable thing, comprehensive and accurate, and including
manuals for most of the items.

I Recall Moose