Re: [OM] Batteries for EM5

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries for EM5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 13:18:03 -0800
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>>

Interestingly, perhaps oddly, I always used the third party batteries first on
any day. That way, when they ran out, the Olys guaranteed at least as much use
as I had already had, almost certainly more. Thus my Oly batteries are actually
very lightly used.
So the perceived longer life of the Olympus batteries could be because they
actually get less use?

Sure, why not, who knows? Does it matter?

Conversely, I find my Powerextra batteries seem to last a tad longer than the Olympus ones, but
perhaps this is just confirmation bias on my part, since the Olys say "1750 mAh" on them,
and the Powerextra ones say "2000 mAh." We all know that no product has ever been
misleadingly labeled. :-)

Yet, a lot depends on how well they communicate with the body. It seemed pretty clear to me when using the E-M5 and 5 II bodies, that with Oly batteries, the path to shutdown was smooth. With others, it was bumpy. It would show red, then, after no shooting for a few minutes, or after being turned off, it would be back to one bar, and not turn red again right away when used.

My assumption was that, absent direct communication with the battery about its remaining life, the camera would show red, and then shut down, based simply on voltage. Let the battery recover from heavy use, and it's all right again.

So, what might that mean for my Powerextras? I have five batteries in front of me. Four show voltage of 7.6, with varying amounts of capacity. The Powerextra specs much more capacity than the others, but @ 7.4v. If it has more capacity on a test bench, but is shut down by the camera before using all of it . . .

To quote Huck Finn, "It's all too various for me."

I only use an E-M5 II now for the HR Mode, mostly for lens testing, so this is all academic for me. I am pleased to have found genuine Panny batteries for reasonable prices, so that's all I shoot with now.

Confuse A. Moose