[OM] Who is interested in OM Zuiko 250/350mm drop-in filters?

Subject: [OM] Who is interested in OM Zuiko 250/350mm drop-in filters?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 01:07:49 -0800
I'm getting close (meaning, this winter) to making up a bunch of pre-loaded
drop-in filters for the OM Zuiko 250/2 and 350/2.8.

"Pre-loaded," you say?

Well, I discovered that in their wisdom, there's an industry standard 46mm
filter, and then there's the Olympus Way. The 46mm filters for the 250/350 (and
I assume, the 180/2, as well) have a different thread pitch (0.5mm) and actual
diameter than standard 46mm filters, such that standard filters won't even
screw in enough to bugger up the threads on the holder. But even if they would,
the depth available is just 2.5mm, and after lots of searching, I haven't found
any filters less than 3mm deep.

But the glass seems to be the same size, so my holder will have standard 0.75mm
thread pitch, and I'm taking apart industry filters and mounting them directly
in the holder.

I also have a design for a rotatable element, for circular polarizers and
variable neutral-density filters and other such goodies, but that's probably
further out and higher cost.

So if any of you are interested in internal filters for the OM Zuiko 250mm or
350mm lenses, let me know off-list which filters you are interested in, and
what you might be willing to pay.

(I don't intend to "soak the market," but I have a lot of time into it, and I
expect the market is small, and the special 3D printer (SLA) that is required
for the fine thread work is not cheap. I'll probably market via evilBay at a
price higher than for list members.)

Also, if you're interested in one or more pre-loaded filter holders, do you
prefer cheap Chinese filter elements, or brand name (B+W, Tiffen, Hoya, etc.)
filter elements? That will increase the price by at least $40 or more, in case
you think you must guild the lily. :-)

I might also be talked into making a run of non-loaded, but "standard
filter-ready" holders. Let me know if that is of more interest than pre-loaded
ones. You'll need a lens spanner and know how to use it without scratching the
filter coating.

Jan

:::: A crowd is not company, and faces are but a gallery of pictures, and talk
but a tinkling cymbal, where there is no love. -- Francis Bacon
<http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Francis+Bacon> ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op <http://www.ecoreality.org/>‌ ::::‌‌