[OM] Interesting denoise comparison

Subject: [OM] Interesting denoise comparison
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 11:24:49 -0700
Reviewed by TopazLabs, so obviously biased, but still interesting:

https://topazlabs.com/we-compared-popular-noise-reduction-tools-and-denoise-ai-came-out-the-winner/

Compares Denoise AI, Capture One, Lightroom, DxO PhotoLab.
It would have been nice to see Neat Image in the mix. I have found,
see below, that really high ISO noise is better handled by Neat Image.
Denoise AI with high ISO noise creates a lot of craziness if you really
crank the setting to reduce the noise to the level of Neat Image.

I used Denoise AI for the following shots, a7r iii, -1EV, ISO 800, 0.1 sec,
35mm/2.8

RoadHouse:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RXHVaMVmeBsavqep9

There is an overall view with and without Denoise AI plus 100% crops.
The two waitresses on the left in the crops both had significant tattoos.
I was impressed by how well Denoise AI rendered the tattoos.
The Casamigos had not bearing on the results...

Cave Creek AZ is known for lively night life on Friday. There is a place called
Buffalo Chips across the street from RoadHouse with live bull riding,
live band with country dancing, beer etc, and some nice scenery.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dvTvA9cJjxnRBczw7

Most shot were a7 iii, at ISO 3200, with Denoise AI applied.
Howeve, some shots I had auto ISO on and went to ISO 65535.
Denoise AI was not successful with such high ISO noise.
However, Neat Image did really well with that much high ISO noise.
I left one image unfiltered. The Neat Image filtered ones are commented.

I felt a bit out of place with no hat or boots.
Always be careful about politics there.
I friended a person who said (close to my face):
"Wayne, Trump loves this country, Trump loves this country!"
I smiled and and said "OK". He's in the stack of photos.
The next morning I went and photographed his son as quarterback at
high school football game. It helped he knew I went through
Marine Corp bootcamp and all.

Wayne - Trump *something* This Country - Okaaayyyy - crossing the divide.