[OM] New Canyon 85mm DS lens

Subject: [OM] New Canyon 85mm DS lens
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 23:20:14 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
I think many of Canyon's mirrorless offerings have been a real yawn.  I think
with this lens they did a nice job implementing the apodization elements in two
separate  lens elements which made it ultra smooth.
They mention the apparent dof is increased slightly (suspect about half a stop)
but it TRULY increases dof period as the peripheral oof rays are attenuated.
It is still fast enough to provide easy subject/background separation.

Sonnie's 100mm STF lens has a Tstop max of about F5.6 and a dof of about an F4
lens despite being an F2.8 lens.  It is more severe with the apodization but
does NOT provide enough subject/background isolation unless approaching the
MFD, IMO.
That the Canyon offering is 3K and a bit huge, are points to consider too, but
at least the lens is designed well to accomplish its mission.  The Sonnie is
not slouch when it comes to rending flowers of any sort near MFD but it just
isn't fast enough to do its job properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQsSYH-aJ_U

Mike d'opinion