Re: [OM] Well, that sucks

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, that sucks
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 05:52:41 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> I?ve gotten really fond of the push-pull aperture clutch on many of the
>> Olympus lenses.
>
> Is that for the aperture or for the focus?

Brain fart. Yea, it's a focus clutch.

Since my Mom died of Alzheimer's, I'm noticing (imagining?) more and more
symptoms.

> I'm thinking that I should just get the Metabones dohicky and use my OM glass.

It's just wonderful for "normal" and above focal lengths. The 35/2 is just
okay... not that it was ever wonderful. I keep hoping the 21/2 is going to
magically "get better" someday. I'd hate to think what the 18/3.5 looks like;
glad I sold it before I could be disappointed.

It seems to do much better on slower lenses. I don't currently have anything
between 21 and 35; I'm thinking the f/2.8 versions should work fairly well. But
I've got nice ZD zoom glass that covers those ranges, so I can't come up with a
good reason to try legacy wide glass, having sold almost all of it when I went
4/3rds.

On the tele end, a focal reducer does wonders with the OM 90/2, although my
copy is pretty wonderful unadorned, and a focal reducer just makes the 500/8
sing! And the 350/2.8 becomes the unobtainable 250/2, for all I can tell.

While pricey, the genuine Metabones is pretty classy looking and feeling, if
that matters to you. Nearly par with it optically (IMHO) is the ~$120 Viltrox
Mount Adapter EF-M2II plus a thin, inexpensive EF-OM ring, but it's sorta
clunky looking, but fairly tight. BE SURE to get the "II" version if you decide
to go that route, as it works without taping the contacts off, like you had to
do with the plain version.

The Metabones is lovely, but the Viltrox is cheap enough that you can almost
justify getting a "resident" one for every OM lens.

But if you're committed to both your legacy OM glass and MFT, you won't regret
having one, unless you really hate fiddling with odd bits of gear. Just Do It.

Jan