[OM] Nathan's PAD 14/9/2019: after the storm

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 14/9/2019: after the storm
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 07:30:11 +0200
While I was in Bratislava last week, my part of Spain was drenched in
torrential rain and lashed by high winds. The areas south of Alicante, like
Orihuela or Almoradí, are really badly affected, with heavy flooding and
significant damage, similar to what you see in the aftermath of a hurricane. We
live to the north of the city and due to the topography in our area, the rain
basically just ran off into the sea; in some mountain villages there were flash
floods but here on the coast there was just a bit of mess on the beach. I went
for a walk on Saturday morning to have a look.

The beach promenade had been closed as a precaution. I have no idea to what
extent the warnings had been followed. I can imagine that some windsurfers
might have wanted to take advantage of the wind:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-946jSXr/A

Certainly the wind rearranged the beach a bit. This is the access ramp for
wheelchair users:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-TLWF7xw/A

The wind was still blowing strongly, from the sea:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-MwkwRfZ/A

And there was some beach erosion:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-mFHqX2w/A

So overall, we got off extremely easy here in El Campello. And the wind that
was still blowing strongly on Saturday morning meant that when I took my bike
ride inland later in the day, I had a nice strong tailwind while climbing the
hills towards Aigües—so no complaints here.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain