Re: [OM] GX85 Clarity Slider - Frank

Subject: Re: [OM] GX85 Clarity Slider - Frank
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 08:07:21 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
>
> That said, I will need to get a focal-length reducer. I've got that
> native OM glass that needs to be used as intended.

You won’t regret it! I’ve got three, and another in the mail!

Quick review: forget anything under $100. Save yourself $100 and smear some
Vasoline on a filter.

Next tier: I’m not unhappy with the Kipon Baveyes Ultra at ~$150. It works
better with longer lenses. I suspect it doesn’t correct telecentricity well
enough for wides. I would not bother with it today, because of...

Viltrox Mount Adapter EF-M2, with a small EF-EM adapter ring. The one I got
some time ago came in a box identical to the Metabones. I speculate that it
might even be Metabones’s OEM. If not the OEM, it appears to be a pretty good
knock-off. I have not done formal testing, but it LOOKS almost as good as the
Metabones. I have nagging feeling that it must not be as sharp in some aspect.
Certainly having to use two adapters to get to OM is a bit clunky, but fits
fairly tightly for lenses that aren’t too long. Side benefit is that you can
use it with Canon glass if desired. It now has a “II” version that I have just
ordered. ~$120.

Metabones Speedbooster Ultra: the one to beat. Unfortunately, the one to beat
on price, as well. It is never discounted, never sold used, which speaks
volumes for it. I managed to snag one on a rare evilBay "20% of anything” sale.
This one actually makes the OM 21/2 sing, although still with considerable TCA.
Fit and finish is superb, much better than the Viltrox. If you don’t mind
spending $450, you won’t regret this one!

I was once a skeptic. But now, I rarely shoot OM glass without a focal reducer
of some sort attached.

Jan