[OM] IMG: a day in Madrid

Subject: [OM] IMG: a day in Madrid
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 07:35:53 +0200
On Friday I spent the day in Madrid, out on the 7:14 train, home on the 21:15
train, giving me just about 12 hours to walk around Madrid. The main purpose
was to visit an exhibition of 17th century Dutch and Spanish paintings at the
Prado, consisting of 72 works from Prado’s own collection, supplemented with
loans from the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and other Dutch museums. The idea was
to highlight the remarkable similarity between Dutch and Spanish painters, even
in cases where they had never met nor seen each other’s paintings, such a
Vermeer and Velázquez. Art historians have traditionally emphasized the
uniqueness of Dutch painting following the establishment of the Netherlands as
an independent state in 1648. This exhibition puts paid to that idea.

In addition, the PhotoEspaña photography festival is currently going on, with
interesting photo exhibitions all over Madrid. I had chosen four exhibitions to
visit, but two of them were at the Casa de América which turned out to be
closed for vacation, so I had to make do with two. But one of them was a real
gem, a very complete exhibition of works by Berenice Abbott. I was not really
familiar with her work until now—she was truly a remarkable woman and
photographer.

And of course I walked around the city a lot, taking lunch at the Mercado de
San Miguel near Plaza Mayor, and spending an hour in the Parque del Buen
Retiro, probably the nicest park in any big city. Think of it as Central Park
but with a couple of art galleries, numerous bars and lots of beautiful
fountains.

August is actually a great month to visit Madrid; it can be hot, sure, but on
the other hand half of Madrid’s population is at the seaside (many in Alicante
where I live), traffic is light, so the air is clean, and the metro is
uncrowded.

Fifty-five images are here:

http://www.frozenlight.eu/madrid_aug2019/index.html

Nathan